Director for Maintenance and Events
Director for Maintenance and EventsNew York Botanical Garden
Bronx, NY 10458
The Director for Maintenance and Events will oversee the operational requirements for events at the Garden. Ability to work with many Divisions of the Garden that hold events; Special Events, Public Education, Horticulture Exhibitions, Marketing, Government Relations and associated Food Service. Strong electrical skills, general construction skills and coordination skills are required for this position. Ability to align work schedule to events schedule. Assist the Associate Vice President for Operations with all Compliance Issues, Energy Conservation Initiatives, Capital Project Commissioning and Associated Reports. Coordinate and oversee Special Events/Liaison requirements.
Additionally, this position supports, through actions and conduct, NYBG’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accessibility initiatives and helps to build and maintain an inclusive organization culture throughout the institution.
The New York Botanical Garden is committed to an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible work environment, and further recognizes that diversity in our workforce fosters excellence in our mission of advocating for the plants of the world. Leveraging the strong foundation of existing policies and practices, NYBG will advance inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility through a number of institutional initiatives. Our aspiration is to continue to cultivate a workforce and institution that is as diverse as the communities we serve and the audiences we engage.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with all divisions of Operations (Maintenance, Custodial and Engineering) to assure that all event requirements are met prior to the start of the event. Managing a unionized work force.
- Coordinate the breakdown, removal and storage of event materials upon completion of the event.
- Inventory and prepare for Garden Wide activities; events require electrical services, tables, chairs, stages, ADA pathways, lighting, mechanical equipment, generators, trash receptacles and tents. Also, coordinating straight time and overtime labor with departmental managers to service the events and breakdown of events and proper storage of equipment.
- Coordinate and assist with other Departmental Managers for General Maintenance, Snow Removal and other Operational requirements especially when there are reduced event activities. Event activities are planned and calendared; this position requires coordination with the events calendar and a flexible work schedule.
- Special Events and Public Education: Respond to requests and tasks for Garden Programing. Oversee Departmental Manager for Special Events/ Liaison and scheduling.
- Adheres to established departmental budget.
- Must work flexible schedule / evening schedule to accommodate events, projects and emergencies.
- 5 plus years’ experience in Operations, Special Events, General Construction or Electrical Service industry. Experience in work force management, coordination, and planning and inventory control.
- Experience in overseeing and managing a unionized work force.
- OSHA training 10 hours minimum.
- Experience in warehouse organization and storage a must.
- Knowledge of physical plant operations and electrical distribution. Familiar with “Operations Reports”; installations, stand-by requirements and breakdown.
- Familiarity with Work Order system.
- College Degree or Technical School equivalent.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule to accommodate event scheduling.
- Weekend, Evening and Holiday work required
Please be advised, as a term and condition of accepting a job offer the candidate for employment must submit proof of full vaccination. Candidates for employment unable to submit proof of full vaccination at the time of the offer will not be considered for employment.
This policy is subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of Title VII and the American for Disabilities Act (ADA) and other EEO consideration. If you believe that because of a disability or a sincerely held religious belief that you may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation or exemption to this policy please contact HR@nybg.org.
If you require an accommodation for any part of the application process, please notify the Human Resources department at HR@nybg.org.
EOE/BIPOC/F/Persons with disabilities/Veterans
Job Type: Full-time