Program AssistantSouth Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation (SoBRO)
Bronx, NY 10455
Job Type- Part-time
Job Description: Program Assistant
Job Status: Full Time
Reports To: Senior Vice President of Programs
The South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation’s (SoBro) mission is to enhance the quality of life in the South Bronx by strengthening businesses and creating innovative economic, housing, educational and career development programs for youth and adults.
SoBRO’s programs involve spurring economic development, building affordable housing, adult education, workforce development, helping at-risk youth to succeed, and producing other positive outcomes for South Bronx residents and employers.
As we approach our 50th anniversary in 2022, SoBRO intends to become a 21st community and economic development organization doing vital work in the communities we serve, incorporating the values of equity, sustainability, strong business practices and advocacy into the foundation of this anchor institution.
The Program Assistant is a high-energy multi-tasker who supports the management and growth of the Business Department. The Program Assistant provides administrative support for the
Business Department and supporting the implementation of 1 Million Cups.
The Program Assistant will offer administrative and program support. This Program Assistant will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of the Bronx 1 Million Cups program. He/she will be responsible for supporting the EAC manager in creating documents, training, and document management and perform data entry tasks along with a myriad of other jobs.
This position involves the development of a strategy to accomplish broader business community awareness and engagement, as well as execution on those strategies. S/he will follow up with business owners, and business services to encourage and initiate business development.
The Program Assistant must be an energetic individual with initiative, imagination, strong organizational, strategic and interpersonal skills, and have experience and demonstrated success in working within the entrepreneurial ecosystem.
This position's success should ultimately result in the business community in the Bronx and surrounding communities having a more engaging relationship with SoBro and as a result, are achieving business goals. Position Responsibilities include:
- Manage the implementation and establishment of the 1 Million Cups program
- Raise awareness about SoBro services in the community
- Relay client concerns to the appropriate senior staff
- Maintain client files and add new information as it becomes available
- Help clients complete paperwork and attend to program correspondence
- Follow up with the businesses
- Regularly analyze the business landscape to identify opportunities to increase SoBro’s presence
- Identify and produce skills-building trainings for business owners
- Place clients within appropriate services within SoBro
- Represent SoBro in community initiatives and at events that support our business/entrepreneurial mission
- Monitor the success of business engagement strategies and budget
- Design and implement evaluation tools to gauge and ensure positive impact
- Network and collaborate with local organizations and community leaders
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Prior community organizing, campaign organizing, and/or other forms of constituent building experience (small- and/or large-scale) preferred
- Be nice
- Previous leadership experience (3+ years)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Coherent understanding of government contracts
- Knowledge of economic development issues, and experience working in diverse communities
- Strong command of MS Office tools including Power Point, Excel and
- Knowledge of Minority-Women Owned Business Enterprise (MWBE) certification process and/or issues of business development and key priorities within the MWBE community
- Knowledge of business and contracting principles
- Local knowledge of business community
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to listen critically to identify needs and solve problems
- Strong written and communication skills
- Active interest in identifying and serving the needs of start-up and existing small businesses
- Professional appearance
How to Apply
Interested parties should:
- Apply within the hosting jobsite (preferred)
- Send resume to Human Resources, SoBRO, 555 Bergen Avenue, Bronx, N.Y. 10455
- Salary range: low-to-mid $40’s
NO PHONE CALLS FROM AGENCIES OR RECRUITERS PLEASE!
SoBRO provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or citizenship status.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
TTY/TDD: 1-800 662-1220
Voice Relay: 1-800-421-1220
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $40,000.00 - $45,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
All employees are required to wear a mask in all common areas and when dealing with other employees and clients. All staff must fully comply with SoBro’s COVID-19 Employee Safety Policy, including vaccination requirements.
- Associate (Preferred)
Work Location: One location