VP of Fund & Resource Development
VP of Fund & Resource DevelopmentSouth Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation
Bronx, NY 10455
The South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation’s (SoBro) mission is to enhance the quality of life in the South Bronx by strengthening businesses and creating innovative economic, housing, educational and career development programs for youth and adults.
SoBRO’s programs include spurring economic development, building affordable housing, adult education, workforce development, helping at-risk youth to succeed, and producing other positive outcomes for South Bronx residents and employers.
As we approach our 50th anniversary in 2022, SoBRO intends to become a 21st community and economic development organization doing vital work in the communities we serve, incorporating the values of equity, sustainability, strong business practices and advocacy into the foundation of this anchor institution.
Overview of the Position
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Vice President (VP), Fund & Resource Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting SoBro. In partnership with the President/CEO, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. The successful candidate will help forge new relationships to build SoBro's visibility, impact, and financial resources. The VP also will design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The VP will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow a $16M budget through the solicitation of major gifts, federal and state grants, special events, and corporate and foundation support.
The candidate will expand and diversify SoBro's donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In addition, the VP will work closely with the Board of Directors and support board members as they take on a more active fundraising role.
It is expected that the amount raised by SoBro will increase in future years as the VP systematically and effectively strengthens the organization's overall fundraising capacity.
- Support and partner with the President/CEO and board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Develop and support marketing and public information opportunities and campaigns including management and upkeep of the organization’s website and social media presence
- Actively work with the President/CEO and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include corporate, foundation, government grants, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach ensure timely submission of funding applications to public and private institutions
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position SoBro ahead of major funding changes or trends
- Oversee development and management of special events designed to raise funds and/or cultivate partners and donors, selecting and managing vendors and event teams – including the production of SoBro’s 50th Anniversary event scheduled for 2022
- Monitor all donor information; provide and present statistical analysis to board and senior leaders
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Develop and mentor the grant writer on staff, identify funding or needed supports to expand the team as the workload expands
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred; commensurate experience accepted in lieu of degree
- Knowledge and experience in fund ware platforms including Razer’s Edge and Constant Contact; web hosting and management familiarity
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside SoBro
- High energy and passion for SoBro's mission is essential, understanding and/or experience working within the Bronx, including elected officials and key stakeholders is highly desirable
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail; excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
Job Location SoBro’s offices are fully accessible via public transportation – we are just one quarter block from the #2 and #5 subway trains in the heart of the South Bronx’s commercial district.
Salary High $80k – commensurate with experience
How to Apply Interested parties should send their resume to South Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation (SoBro) 555 Bergen Avenue, Bronx, N.Y. 10455, firstname.lastname@example.org. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!!
SoBRO provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or citizenship status.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
TTY/TDD: 1-800 662-1220
Voice Relay: 1-800-421-1220